☆ Small Town Dreams ☆




blog portfolio  contact home

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
Saturday, September 11, 2010






Today in India ~ Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated. I'm not hindu but I promised my friend Satya I would do a ritual because he had gifted me a small idol he got in india last year. Also I recently got a package in the mail from my birthday ~ inside a beautiful saree!! I've always dreamt of having one. MY parents have been joking that it's a wedding saree, I've got a ganesha, and next thing he'll send is a stone and we'll be married.


The hardest part was not wrapping my self in it, but what to do with the left overs!!






The first step in the ritual is cleansing. You need to bathe and dress well (I dressed in my saree!) in order to be presentable to the god. Then you bathe/clean the god (I just wiped him down with a clorox cloth LOL). In India this step is more like this:


This photo is from victorkoo.blogspot: http://victorkoo.blogspot.com/2007/09/some-unusual-sights-at-east-coast-park.html who actually saw this in Singapore!



"The most serious impact of the Ganesh festival on the environment is due to the immersion of icons made of Plaster of Paris into lakes, rivers and the sea. The day after the immersion, shoals of dead fish can be seen floating on the surface of the water" (wikipedia)


HAHAHA I have sucha dark humour, because I found this really funny.


After Ganesh is clean, you smear tumeric on his forehead and place him outside with a flower at his feet. And then make a wish!!

Labels: ,


0 comments | 6:03 PM | create comment _____________________________________________________________________________________________



0 Comments:

Post a Comment